Sunday, April 25, 2021

Grampy and I Take on Primetime

     


        This is the headshot Grampy and I were sure would make me a primetime star in 1986. We’d been watching Punky Brewster for a long time, and Grampy was convinced I had more talent in my pinky finger than Soleil Moon Frye had in all her freckles, combined. Also, he called me “Punky” (AKA “Punkinhead”) long before the show ever aired. And he thought I pulled off pigtails better.

Somehow the WWII veteran, who had no entertainment business training, managed to schmooze like an industry professional. Major Paul A. Weakland Sr. called talent agencies all over San Francisco, booking three auditions for the girl you see in the picture. He did this using the yellow pages and a pink telephone, with not one -- but two cords (wall and receiver).


I recall sitting in front of bright lights at one firm, emoting my heart out while reciting lines from a TV commercial. We didn’t get a call back. Honestly, I barely remember anything else about that day. What I remember with 100% clarity is the drive to the city, hoofing it around San Francisco, trying to find our appointments, and stopping at Carl’s Jr. for dinner on the way home. 


In no way was that day a failure for me and the Gramps. In fact it happens to be one of our favorite success stories  of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment